TO THE BATPOLES #120: Can Superman solve "Batman's Great Mystery"?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #120: Can Superman solve "Batman's Great Mystery"?

Post by bat-rss »

While Batman and Robin never had their own show back in the "Golden Age of Radio," they did appear from time to time on The Adventures of Superman. Sometimes it was because Superman actor Bud Collyer was taking the day off, but in the case of "Batman's Great Mystery", he appears in all eleven episodes as Batman (Stacy Harris) has disappeared, and Superman helps Robin (Ronald Liss) try to locate him. WHAT WILL HAPPEN? Tune in to this podcast, fellas and girls, for the intriguing answer!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/120-can ... at-mystery
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #120: Can Superman solve "Batman's Great Mystery"?

Post by High C »

Congrats on your 120th episode! I hope syndication (but no new episodes) isn't the next step. ;)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Great episode, even if it took a "double listen" to both the radio program and the podcast itself.

I liked the radio adventure, but I totally agree about the show's ambiguous handling of the Bruce/Batman and Dick/Robin dual identities. The bank has Batman's bank accounts? Henderson and Kent go to Robin's house (and Metropolis PD has Batman's fingerprints)? Extremely confusing.

As to Robin calling Batman "Pappy," I don't know the reasoning behind it (and I'm not aware it was ever done in the comics), but Toro, sidekick to the original Human Torch also called his mentor Pappy. Maybe it's just a wisecracking way of saying "old man," or maybe the point was emphasizing Bruce/Batman's role as a father figure to Dick/Robin?

I agree that the actor who plays Robin was kind of irritating. He sounded a lot to me like Peter Deyell, who played Robin to Lyle Waggoner's Batman in the screen test.

One thing that struck me about Batman in the radio adventure was the lack of reference to his utility belt. Escaping from iron shackles with a lockpick (or even a found hairpin, nail, etc.) should have been a pretty easy trick for Batman, so at the very least it seems the script should have mentioned that the crooks took his belt away.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Even though Batman ended its run with 120 episodes, it's good to see that this train will continue to roll on.
High C

Post by High C »

Fun episode for No. 120, guys. I had never heard of this before.

As Tim's title points out, I guess it was wrong to expect a great Batman story when it is Supes' candy store. Frankly, the plot as you described it bores me. Too much of, as you said, Robin being super-annoying, first of all. I could picture Newmar's Catwoman--'I know, we'll kill him.'

It seemed more as if the Marshall Plan was the hero. 'Marshall Plan, Marshall Plan, Marshall Plan, na na na na na na na na na na na MARSHALL PLAN!' (To be fair, that borrows liberally from your 'na na na na na na lawsuit' and 'na na na na na na na bad check.')

Speaking of which, I also must admit I'm surprised you didn't mention the scene about Batman's bank account. Does he sign his checks as 'Batman?' Can one cash those legally?

The scene in which Batman fools the goon by requesting a smoke was odd, even though it was a ruse. 'See, Robin,' he could've said after dispatching the goon, 'smoking IS hazardous to one's health.' 'Gosh, Batman'

The guy in the scene in which Supes is desperately trying to get information sounded like either William Fawcett or former SNL star Dana Carvey as 'Grumpy Old Man.'

I wasn't surprised by Tim's outro song, but thought 'Mr. Jones' by the Counting Crows might have had a puncher's chance.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Bud Collyer and Joan Alexander provided voices for the Fleischer Cartoons as well as the 603 Filmation cartoons. Jackson Bexh was the announcer/narrator and provided the voice of Perry White and others in the 60s Filmation cartoons.

Stacy Harris was a favorite of Jack Webb's and appeared in numerous radio and TV episodes of Dragnet.

Another good Batman story line is Superman vs kryptonite in 1947. A mobster exposes Superman to kryptonite giving him amnesia. Batman and Robin search fir him. It was the last story arc before the series went on hiatus.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I'm not sure how the radio stories hold up, but it was interesting to hear that version of Superman; he so much that larger than life figure of the Golden Age, and all thanks to Collyer's great delivery.

The negative (annoying) portrayal of Robin seems to stem from the period's general perception of children or teens as annoying, as if they were an anchor to affairs, rather than being a part of it in any functional way. Did they forget to source the comics before writing their version of Robin?

...but I will say the voice actor made a better Robin than the scrawny weirdo from the 1943 serial and the bulky "teen" going on 44-year old barfly who took the role in the 1949 serial.

Paul wondering about the actor who would come in to moan when Collyer was taking time off had me laughing. Imagine the guy at a party, answering the question, "Where do you work? What do you do?" and the guy says..."I...moan for Superman..."

Er...yeah..

Guys, thanks for adding The Green Hornet spots. That's a nice touch from the other side of the Dozierverse.
Beneath Wayne Manor
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

clavierankh wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:07 amStacy Harris was a favorite of Jack Webb's and appeared in numerous radio and TV episodes of Dragnet.
Usually as a criminal.
Beneath Wayne Manor
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Jack Webb's daughter Stacey was in fact named after Stacy Harris because they were close friends. And yes, Harris usually did end up as a villain (and sometimes a psycho) on "Dragnet" though sometimes he did get to be a fellow cop.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I have a CD set of some of the Superman/Batman team-ups on the radio. Before your show, I hadn't noticed, but I think Ronald Liss portrayed Robin on the 1960s Batman records

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpgb8C3A1iw

Does anyone else think the voices sound the same?
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

gothosmansion wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:31 am I have a CD set of some of the Superman/Batman team-ups on the radio. Before your show, I hadn't noticed, but I think Ronald Liss portrayed Robin on the 1960s Batman records

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpgb8C3A1iw

Does anyone else think the voices sound the same?
I do -- and in fact, Discogs lists his name in the credits!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-More-Of ... e/13988288

And he also wrote the script!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Interesting episode! I'm always especially intrigued by your episodes that deal with material i'm not personally familiar with and the radio shows are great example of that.

A couple of thoughts:

To those who over time who have described Burt's seemingly endless enthusiasm in his performance as Robin as tiresome, i'd hasten them to try and endure more than one episode of this radio show; "Robin the Boy Lackluster" springs to mind. Oh boy was that an arduous approach to the character...

Forgive me if you guys mentioned this (i'm extremely jet-lagged at the time of writing) but is this where we believe "Same time, same station/channel" originates?