What Else Do You Collect?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

What Else Do You Collect?

Post by AndyFish »

As suggested in the main threads, here's a place for us to talk about the oddities we like to hoard, um, collect! I guess this should be Non-Batman 1966 items since those would be in the LATEST THINGS YOU'VE ACQUIRED thread, but I don't think it's a hard and fast rule.

I'll start: I've been a full time working comic book artist/graphic novelist for nearly 20 years-- I don't work in the superhero field but in horror or non fiction and this career has afforded me the ability to travel all over the world with a concentration on Asia where the market and publishers flourish. These work paid for trips allow me to haunt some really obscure shops and make some great finds. We also spend a good chunk of our time all over the US which also has a lot of offerings for a collector.

I've always loved Classic Universal Monsters even more than Batman (gasp) so a lot of what I collect is geared towards that-- especially 60s vintage stuff. Probably the oddest thing I collect...

CONVERTIBLE.JPG

No, not convertibles or even cows although there are both there. I have a large collection of sports jackets. I wear them almost year round and I like finding conservative but unusual ones. The photo is a rare one of me (I don't like having my picture taken) as Veronica and I tool around the mountains of Vermont in our Miata.

INDIAN MOTORCYCLE.JPG

Indian Motorcycle related merchandise, this is my favorite brand of bike, and this love goes way back. There's just something about the slick lines and low slung nature to them that make them superior (IMO) to other brands.

GIGANTIC FRANKIE.jpeg

One of the best things about the publishing industry being shut down for six months at the start of the pandemic was a chance to build and paint a pile of model kits I'd had lying around. This particular one was from a good friend who passed away suddenly. The pic shows it about 90% complete, I added more shadow and paint to the face after this was taken.

AURORA SPIDEY.jpg

Ditto the playing mantis Spidey re-issue, the pic is bad but I actually got all of the webs painted in. This was a kit I wanted to do ever since I was a kid but the webbing was too daunting.

GODZILLA SOFUBI.JPG

Vintage Godzilla Sofubi's sell for multiple $100s here in the states but you can still get them in Japan for about 1500Y (about $14.50), sofubi's are soft or hollow vinyl figures and my favorites are usually about 12" tall. On one trip I ran out of room in my suitcase for anymore, so I went out and bought another suitcase from a Japanese dollar store and filled it with these and checked it. It arrived with me safe and sound, unlike another box which I mailed back to myself and it was lost forever with barely a "oh, sorry" from the Post Office.

KRESGE DRACULA.JPG

Kresge Mego figures- I have about a dozen of these-- this one is a custom with a vintage AHI head and a modern Mego body on a custom card, but I like the way it came out. I always liked the Kresge cards because they were better balanced than the standard Mego cards. I also have several examples in boxes.

That's all for now, I'll post more including my Colgate Monster Soaky collection and the new Super7 one's too.
maniac cop 5

Re: What Else Do You Collect?

Post by maniac cop 5 »

I retired from the police department in January 2020 with 30 years on the job. Besides 66 Batman (obviously) i collect 43 serial items and some 89 Batman movie stuff.

Outside of that i have a decent collection of Universal horror stuff but especially latex masks, some very rare. At one time i had over 75 masks but sold some a few years back and am down to about 40 to 50 now.

I also collect items on Doc Savage, The Shadow, and Tarzan. Anything on old serial type heroes. Also 60's slot cars items and same period die cast Can Am and roadracing cars.

Unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to post photos from my phone on this board. I tried several times but just couldnt get it. At my age i'm not very computer savvy. ***Admin Edit: Photos added on behalf of ManiacCop5. BB.***

20220204_170612_resized.jpg
20220204_170841_resized.jpg
20220204_170913_resized.jpg
20220204_171104_resized.jpg
20220204_171136_resized.jpg
20220204_171155_resized.jpg
20220204_171155_resized.jpg
20200101_122653_resized_1.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:38 pm latex masks, some very rare. At one time i had over 75 masks but sold some a few years back and am down to about 40 to 50 now.
That's a shame about no pictures. Your collection sounds crazy. Do latex masks deteriorate as they get older? What kind of shape is your oldest ones?

I'm wanting to rediscover Doc Savage. He hasn't been on my radar for some time but he is very interesting.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:15 am I have a large collection of sports jackets. I wear them almost year round and I like finding conservative but unusual ones. The photo is a rare one of me (I don't like having my picture taken) as Veronica and I tool around the mountains of Vermont in our
You have some interesting collections Andy.

Are your sports jackets for certain teams or just random stuff?

I dont love for my photo to be taken either but I always think about not having many photos of my father that passed away very young. You should take more even if they are not for you.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha- no sports jackets are blazers. Sport coats. I have about twenty of them. I’m wearing one in the photo driving the car.

30218EC3-D9DE-4432-BF03-1E50603FE7ED.jpeg

I love Doc Savage and The Shadow too, have all of them.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

rsaffle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:32 pm
maniac cop 5 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:38 pm latex masks, some very rare. At one time i had over 75 masks but sold some a few years back and am down to about 40 to 50 now.
That's a shame about no pictures. Your collection sounds crazy. Do latex masks deteriorate as they get older? What kind of shape is your oldest ones?

I'm wanting to rediscover Doc Savage. He hasn't been on my radar for some time but he is very interesting.
Yes they do deteriorate in time but proper storage can extend their lifespan many fold.
The oldest original masks i have are the deluxe Uncle Creepy and deluxe Cousin Eerie from Don Post Studios. They date to probably late 70s as they were both stuffed with 1978 newspaper when i got them. And amazingly the rubber on both of them is supple and like new!
The Eerie is very rare as mine is completely factory stock and unrestored. I turned down an offer of over 2 grand for it from another collector over 10 years ago.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:14 pm Ha- no sports jackets are blazers. Sport coats. I have about twenty of them. I’m wearing one in the photo driving the car.

I have quite a few blazers myself. Nothing rare though. I was in the detective division for 8 years and never liked having my gun exposed in public. I was the only guy in the division that wore one. I have a tweed one that always made me feel like Mannix when i wore it! Lol!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Besides the 43 Serial items, I collect Marx Johnny and Jane Apollo 7" figures. I'm currently waiting for a vintage Mark Apollo from a friend in England. I also collect Major Mat Mason fakes as they are a number of VERY interesting things out there!
Larry
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

I'm a comic book artist and 3d animator and this collection that is always beside my desk (my art at the top)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:51 pm
AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:14 pm Ha- no sports jackets are blazers. Sport coats. I have about twenty of them. I’m wearing one in the photo driving the car.

I have quite a few blazers myself. Nothing rare though. I was in the detective division for 8 years and never liked having my gun exposed in public. I was the only guy in the division that wore one. I have a tweed one that always made me feel like Mannix when i wore it! Lol!
This is the EXACT reason I started wearing one, to cover my EDC.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:38 pm Unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to post photos from my phone on this board. I tried several times but just couldnt get it. At my age i'm not very computer savvy.
The "full post editor" option should allow you to post images from your phone, the only issue would be if the files are too big (the filesize cap is 2mb).

By all means, feel free to email the photos to me, and I am happy to post them in your reply for you - ben.bentley@live.com
dell

Post by dell »

I collect extra pounds; sorry, not posting a photo.
dell
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:53 am
maniac cop 5 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:38 pm Unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to post photos from my phone on this board. I tried several times but just couldnt get it. At my age i'm not very computer savvy.
The "full post editor" option should allow you to post images from your phone, the only issue would be if the files are too big (the filesize cap is 2mb).

By all means, feel free to email the photos to me, and I am happy to post them in your reply for you - ben.bentley@live.com
Thank you Ben!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:14 pm Ha- no sports jackets are blazers. Sport coats. I have about twenty of them. I’m wearing one in the photo
Wow! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Ha ha
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Larry A. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:59 pm Besides the 43 Serial items, I collect Marx Johnny and Jane Apollo 7" figures. I'm currently waiting for a vintage Mark Apollo from a friend in England. I also collect Major Mat Mason fakes as they are a number of VERY interesting things out there!
Show pictures please! I have a few of these things too but just the random ones I've found in the wild.