Hornet Logo Redux?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

Hornet Logo Redux?

Post by GMartin58 »

A question for mulling over. While I love the original and '66 GH logo's...the movie version was a relatively decent iteration but because of the nature of the movie itself, I tend to dismiss it.

So...if you could redesign a new logo for the Hornet & Kato...what would you like to see?
Jim Akin

Re: Hornet Logo Redux?

Post by Jim Akin »

I'm no artist, but as someone who's worked on a number of branding campaigns, I ask on behalf of would-be designers:

When you say "logo," are you referring to the typographical presentation of the words "The Green Hornet?" The stylized hornet illustration (with or without a circular outline)? Both?
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

Yes, the Hornet in the film logo brought a quite sinister feel to the table.
It's strange, when I look at the 1966 logo I can see how they could have incorporated the gas gun into the letter T.
In the more recent film logo I can see how the Hornet Sting could have made it into the letter T
I might fire up the photoshop later and have a go at slotting them in ...
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:02 am I'm no artist, but as someone who's worked on a number of branding campaigns, I ask on behalf of would-be designers:

When you say "logo," are you referring to the typographical presentation of the words "The Green Hornet?" The stylized hornet illustration (with or without a circular outline)? Both?
When I think of logo I think of what I can put on a t-shirt or a keychain or bumper sticker.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Tough task. The original holds so much magic in my heart and the newest movie did a streamline effect. It's hard not to make a redesign look like a school mascot too. This will be fun to attempt.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:24 pm Tough task. The original holds so much magic in my heart and the newest movie did a streamline effect. It's hard not to make a redesign look like a school mascot too. This will be fun to attempt.
I figured you would be up to the task!! Can't wait to see your ideas.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Well I gave it a quick shot, and this is what came out, but it probably looks more like a comic book logo than a movie logo. I will try some more.
The Green Hornet is a tough movie to update beyond something similar to what they already have done.

I was trying to get a "BANKSY ART" look and pictured it being graffitied on walls.
Attachments
Hornet redesign C.jpg
Hornet redesign CC.jpg
Hornet redesign CC.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 38819 times
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Holy stuff! That's pretty awesome. You always exceed my expectations! I can see this on my next t-shirt!!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Glad you like it my friend! Here is a link to the files if you want them.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/c1atcu1f ... d7hrr&dl=0
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Randy, that artwork is too nice to be graffiti. It’s pleasing and legible!

Am I the only one that thinks Banksy is overrated? I’m not saying he isn’t talented, and I respect his art, but I’ve seen - and met - mural artists who are just as talented, if not more so. I guess recognition is largely a matter of luck.

For example, I have known both prosecutors and defense attorneys who are much better than any of the famous lawyers that you see touted on television. I watched the OJ trial and knew the outcome on the very first day, but not because the defense attorneys were more talented than the ones I know in small towns.

The entire trial was a clown show, for the most part.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BiffPow wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:54 pm Randy, that artwork is too nice to be graffiti. It’s pleasing and legible!

Am I the only one that thinks Banksy is overrated? I’m not saying he isn’t talented, and I respect his art, but I’ve seen - and met - mural artists who are just as talented, if not more so. I guess recognition is largely a matter of luck.
I can agree with that. I knew Bansky's name and have seen his art in the past, but when I Googled his art, I was surprised at how much it looks like clipart. Some people are just in the perfect storm and become famous. Andy Worhol and Thomas Kinkade are on that list to me too.

Life is complex but it often comes down to who you know, what you are willing to do for success, timing and location. As a painter, I constantly fight insecurities, but I always tell myself that there are thousands of better painters and thousands of worse with some in both categories making a great living or struggling.

Appreciate your comments sir!