Any ideas to help create this Hornet Display?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

Any ideas to help create this Hornet Display?

Post by rsaffle »

I have an idea that I'm trying to make work and was wondering if anyone had a better idea?
I wanted to take a clock and change out the graphics and remove the clock hands and hopefully attach this car rotating graphic to the second's hand.
My first attempt did not work, but I was also using a very cheap clock motor.

Here is a Youtube video of what I envision, but I would like it to move slower than what is illustrated and possibly counterclockwise like the show.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sw8un2Tlkt0

I know there are miniature motors and Arduino circuits, but I am terrible with electronics.
I've been Googling away trying to find something similar. I plan on trying a beefier clock motor and I did see they have high torque motors available.
Attachments
HORNET CLOCK.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Any ideas to help create this Hornet Display?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

So I take it the car platform image rotates independently (or is intended to do so), but the title and transcribed narration remains static?
Beneath Wayne Manor
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Man...that's a cool idea. If you could find a plug-in variety of clock work instead of battery operated I'd think it would provide more torque...IMHO.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I have no idea how to build anything, but the thought occurred to me that maybe a turn-table motor could be used to spin the image (like a record) and you could put a clock face on top. No idea how this would work, but maybe it will spark some discussion.

For example: https://worleygig.com/2010/03/09/turnta ... e-to-rock/
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Does it have to be a clock motor? I used vintage Christmas color wheels for my Batscanner and it worked great. You can detach the motor from the lamp on many models, too, if you don’t want the light.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Interesting ideas and no it doesn't have to be a clock motor. Yes the text stays in place and hides the underground car. Check out the YouTube link of it in action.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Here's a video showing one of the color wheels in action. This one is on Etsy and is pricey, but you can find them MUCH cheaper. Make sure you ask ahead of time which direction the wheel turns. Some turn clockwise, some turn counterclockwise. This one is clockwise, but you can buy some that turn the other way. Do a search for videos of Christmas color wheels to see which one turns counterclockwise, and check the speed, then search for the same model on eBay.

https://v.etsystatic.com/video/upload/a ... dojdf6.mp4

You can do it as a printed graphic and mount on any stiff material. However, If you want it backlit, most any graphics place can print the vehicle graphics on a clear plastic sheet (you can even supply them with something like the plastic that is used in poster frames and they will print and cut it down to a circle of any size). Then spray the back with a frost spray to make the sheet translucent. Mount the sheet on piece of wood equal to, or less than, the width of the black "floor" on which the cars are sitting, so that the support doesn't show through. Mount the shaft of the color wheel motor to the center of the wooden support. Then make your exterior text on a separate sheet with an open top half so that your rotating cars (placed behind the text frame) are visible as they rotate.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:01 pm I have an idea that I'm trying to make work and was wondering if anyone had a better idea?
I wanted to take a clock and change out the graphics and remove the clock hands and hopefully attach this car rotating graphic to the second's hand.
My first attempt did not work, but I was also using a very cheap clock motor

I know there are miniature motors and Arduino circuits, but I am terrible with electronics.
I've been Googling away trying to find something similar. I plan on trying a beefier clock motor and I did see they have high torque motors available.
My First sujestion would be to divide the graphic into three parts, A foreground, Background and the Cars on the turntable into a center piece. Attach the background to the clock face, the Foreground to the crystal and the Cars to the clock motor. You would have to sacrifice your idea of slower and a counter clockwise motion but you would have a cool wall clock with a 3D effect. otherwise you would have to build a cabinet to house the counter clockwise turntable and end up with a mantel clock. Just my thoughts on it.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

SteveA has the easiest to execute idea, and it’s effective. You could still change out the clock motor for a different one.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

SteveA wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:48 pm My First sujestion would be to divide the graphic into three parts, A foreground, Background and the Cars on the turntable into a center piece. Attach the background to the clock face, the Foreground to the crystal and the Cars to the clock motor. You would have to sacrifice your idea of slower and a counter clockwise motion but you would have a cool wall clock with a 3D effect. otherwise you would have to build a cabinet to house the counter clockwise turntable and end up with a mantel clock. Just my thoughts on it.
Appreciate the help guys. I already have the art constructed like that with a clock in mind, but the second hand hasn't worked out moving the graphic.
Thought someone may know of something else cheap that would turn the graphic.

It may be as simple as getting a stronger clock motor, but I haven't tried that yet. Other projects got my attention. :D