Bat-Director Robert Butler has died

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

Bat-Director Robert Butler has died

Post by Jim Akin »

The director of the series pilot was 95. Hollywood Reporter obituary is here.
BiffPow

Re: Bat-Director Robert Butler has died

Post by BiffPow »

Always sad to hear of a life passing, but what a full life! Such great shows and real talent for directing memorable television moments! He achieved a happy place in history and fulfilled his God-given potential.

Thank you, Jim, for informing us and providing the link.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Directing the "Hi Diddle Riddle," "Fine Feathered Finks," and "Instant Freeze" storylines, he set the pace, feel and tone for the first season and the series. Could have used him for many more episodes through the series run.

RIP Robert Butler
Batman - S01E01 480 - Getty ID 103656271.jpg
Batman - S01E03 012 - Getty ID 103654252.jpg
Robert Butler - 1.jpg
Robert Butler - 2.jpg
Robert Butler - 3.jpg
Some behind the scenes with Robert Butler in action.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Saddened to wake up to this news this morning.

IMHO, the Lorenzo Semple and Robert Butler were the archetects of the lightning in a bottle that was the ‘66 Batman TV show and subsequently made it the cultural phenomenon that has loomed large for nearly six decades since.

Bob Butler was a trusted “Pilot” director and as such was responsible for getting some of the biggest shows of the sixties off the ground. Batman was a total mid season replacement gamble and it was Butler’s job to bring Dozier and Semple’s straight/funny concept to life with the nuances within performances required in order for it not to desecend as it so easily could into farce.

Butler directed the first three episodes filmed of Batman’s first season, all three of which remain some of the very best episodes of the full 120 episode run.

Rest in peace, Bob.
A 95 year run and the body of work he gave us was one hell of a run by anyone’s metric.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Thanks, Scott and Ben, for elaborating on Mr. Butler's great role in establishing the Batman 1966 vision -- and his amazing contributions to many other great TV series of the 1960s and 70s.

I posted the obit link from my phone and kept it perfunctory because I hate typing with my thumbs. You both said what I'd have tried to say, but better and with visual aids. :)

RIP Robert Butler, and thanks for creating the template.
dell

Post by dell »

From IMDB:

Trivia
Michael Zinberg credits Butler with having the ruthless, adventurous, innovative vision that produced the powerful pilot episode of Hill Street Blues (1981) that sold NBC, and network president Fred Silverman on green-lighting this landmark urban-cop series.
Quotes
[on making Hill Street Blues (1981)] I was tired of clean speeches, where people waited until others stopped talking, tired of clean shots--I didn't (censored) want it. In my mind, the show came from the congestion of the material, the congestion of the characters. I remember the camera operator cleaning up shots, in the classic Hollywood style that I had begun to hate, and I had to brainwash him to let it be a mess. I wanted it messy. The trick was to make it look seemingly real, live, raunchy, congested. We jammed the streets with derelict cars and graffiti. We suggested Eastern-city crunch very well. The multiple stories added to the congestion, so I ran with it. There's a pair of people arguing here, something developing over there. My idea was that we were putting on binoculars and panning around at the people, keeping it fluid, rather than cutting. That really worked well for that series.
dell
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Wow, 95 and a full career! A full life-life lived if there ever was one! Thank you, Mr. Butler, for setting the course for one of America's most beloved TV series. Also, thank you, Scott, for the very interesting pics and video. For a brief second, I felt a twinge I used to get as a kid back in the early '60s when sitting down to watch an episode of Batman on TV. The magic of childhood...
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"