R.I.P. David Soul aka 'Hutch'

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

R.I.P. David Soul aka 'Hutch'

Post by Yellow Oval »

David Soul passed yesterday at 80 in England where he resided. Many here will remember his 1975 - 1979 role as Det. Ken Hutchison on Starsky and Hutch and also as the vampire hunter, Ben Mears, in the 1979 original Salem's Lot TV mini-series. He was also one of the rogue SFPD motorcycle officers in Clint Eastwood's 1973 movie - Magnum Force - of the famed 'Dirty Harry' movie series. I was a big fan of all of them. He did so much more that I saw him in - an original Star Trek episode, the TV film 'WWIII' back in the early '80s, among so much more... Thanks, David, for all the great memories.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
BiffPow

Re: R.I.P. David Soul aka 'Hutch'

Post by BiffPow »

Sad to hear.

I JUST introduced my son to the show one week ago today.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

He was the mystery singer.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

He was 80?!? I will always remember him as the young cop in Magnum Force and Starsky and Hutch.

An observation: Starsky and Hutch appears to be HEAVILY influenced by the movie, “The Super Cops” in which the two partner officers were referred to as “Batman and Robin” on the street. I love that movie.

When I saw the Starsky and Hutch first movie, I spotted the similarities immediately..

RIP David Soul
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

JimmyVale wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:03 pm He was 80?!? I will always remember him as the young cop in Magnum Force and Starsky and Hutch.

An observation: Starsky and Hutch appears to be HEAVILY influenced by the movie, “The Super Cops” in which the two partner officers were referred to as “Batman and Robin” on the street. I love that movie.

When I saw the Starsky and Hutch first movie, I spotted the similarities immediately..

RIP David Soul
Super Cops was a great flick. Funny as hell too! Not many people remember that film.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

The Super Cops - Greenberg and Hantz….aka Starsky and Hutch!

I recall watching the Starsky and Hutch pilot episode or movie premiere and noting they were doing the same stuff as Greenberg and Hantz in the movie which came out only a year or two before Starsky and Hutch.

Working on their day off, catching bad guys, just the two of them, no backup, getting admonished by their supervisor. That was a very cool concept. Officers going after drug dealers on their own.

Not realistic today but it was the ‘70s. As I recall Lorenzo Semple, Jr. co-wrote The Super Cops. Kind of a Batman connection here.