2024 solar eclipse

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

2024 solar eclipse

Post by dell »

I live in the totality zone for the eclipse and looks like it will be partly cloudy at eclipse time. Looking forward to it.
dell
Ben Bentley

Re: 2024 solar eclipse

Post by Ben Bentley »

How was it in the end for you?

We were supposed to have a 50% view and it wasn't certainly clear enough skies, but sadly I went into a meeting bang on 10am when the window started here in California.
dell

Post by dell »

Someone on the model rocketry forum said that anything less than 100% is a bit second rate. After seeing 100% yesterday I have to agree. A partial eclipse is interesting, but if you have the chance to see 100% it is worth trying to get into the totality path.

We had very light wispy clouds, so practically perfect viewing. Totality was about 3:05 and even a few minutes before that it wasn't really obvious there was an eclipse happening. It got a little darker as it got close, but about two minutes before totality it was still fairly bright. Even at 99% coverage there was still a lot of light. Kind of like a very cloudy day. But then the darkness came on fast. And I mean fast. From 3:03 to 3:05 the light level really dropped. At totality we took off our eclipse glasses and you could stare at the sun. Well, the moon actually, as the sun was completely covered by the moon. It got dark, but nowhere close to nighttime levels of darkness. For just over 2 minutes the sun was covered. And then it got bright fast as the moon moved out of the way. Again, I would say about 2 minutes after the total eclipse ended it was quite bright again.

My wife used an app on her phone that identifies birds by their vocalizations. Birds that don't normally sing during the day were active during the darkness. It did cool off noticeably during the few minutes of the eclipse.

And one of the local radio stations played Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" during totality.
dell
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

It was really breathtaking here in Ft Worth Texas. Only problem was I got only about 30 seconds of total blackout before a cloud covered the rest.
The lights came on outside and all the cars lights on the highway. This is some of my pics and one from my photographer cousin. The shadows on the ground were Cresent shaped. During the covered cloud part, I could see moving wave lines on the ground. Awesome! I told my wife I want to see the next one in twenty years, God willing.
Attachments
IMG_2558.jpg
20240408_133307_compress17.jpg
20240408_134105_compress83.jpg
20240408_134104_compress94.jpg
FB_IMG_1712663387632.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Awesome! Cloudy and some precipitation where we were. Could not see it. 😑
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Cool! We missed as we are in Rome the past 2 weeks, but the pictures look great! Love the solar flare activity
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!